This is a amazing loaf to have in your repertoire. Its a nice alternative to banana bread, and the smell in your house while its cooking will drive you slightly nuts! It can easily be made into a nice dessert by caramelizing some apples and laying them on top with a scoop of ice cream. This recipe is more than 70 years old!
yield: 1 large loaf
- 1.5 cup shredded granny smith or other tart cooking apple
- 3/4 cup chopped dates (I use Iranian or medjool dates)
- 1/4 cup chopped pecans and walnuts
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1 cup sugar or 1/2 cup agave nectar
- 1 egg, beaten
- 2 cups all purpose or whole wheat flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon Cinnamon
- 1/2 cup buttermilk or yogurt
- Preheat oven to 350f. Have all ingredients ready to go. Chop nuts and dates. Peel and shred apples
- Cream together butter and sugar till light and fluffy
- Add the beaten egg and blend till smooth
- Add the apples, nuts and dates
- Add the dry ingredients and buttermilk/yogurt a little of each at a time
- Place into a parchment or wax paper lined loaf pan of your choice
- Let stand for 10 minutes
- Bake until done and a tooth pick inserted comes out clean. About a hour
- Leave in pan overnight before slicing if you can!
I spent a day last week, processing a few salmon I had in my freezer. Smoked and canned 8 pints worth of wild coho and Chinook salmon!